Sunday, July 23, 2006

Truthiness

Now I'm sure some of the word police, the 'Wordanistas' over at Webster's are gonna say, 'hey, that's not a word.' Well, anybody who knows me know I'm no fan of dictionaries or reference books. They're elitist for constantly telling us what is and isn't true, what did or didn't happen. Who's Britannica to tell me the Panama Canal was finished in 1914? If I want to say it happened in 1941, that's my right.

I don't trust books. They're all fact, no heart. And that's exactly what's pulling our country apart today. Because face it, folks, we are a divided nation. Not between Democrats and Republicans, conservatives and liberals, or tops and bottoms. No, we are divided between those who think with their head and those who know with their heart.

Consider Harriet Miers. If you think about Harriet Miers, of course her nomination's absurd! But the President didn't say he thought about his selection. He said this:

President Bush: I know her heart.

Notice how he said nothing about her brain? He didn't have to. He feels the truth about Harriet Miers. And what about Iraq? If you think about it, maybe there are a few missing pieces to the rationale for war. But doesn't taking out Saddam feel like the right thing? Right here in the gut?

Because that's where truth comes from, ladies and gentlemen - the gut. Did you know that you have more nerve endings in your stomach than in your head? Look it up.

Now, somebody's going to say, 'I did look that up and it's wrong.' Well, mister, that's because you looked it up in a book. Next time, try looking it up in your gut. I did, and my gut tells me that's how our nervous system works. Now, I know some of you may not trust your gut - yet. But with my help, you will.

The truthiness is, anybody can read the news to you. I promise to feel the news at you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home